One of the most common questions that we get in our comments section is: “Can I leave my paddleboard inflated all the time?”
Yes, of course, you can leave it inflated. After all, it takes a lot of time and effort to inflate your paddle board. You spend so much energy filling it up with air, especially if you have a manual pump.
But keeping your paddleboard inflated all the time requires a little bit of maintenance. You need to check the air pressure in your paddleboard before each use. You also need to check for leaks and small holes from time to time. This article will share a few tips that will help you store your inflated paddleboard for a long time.
How Do You Care For An Inflated Paddle Board?
You need to take care of your inflated paddleboard so that it can function properly in water. I have listed a few steps which you need to follow to increase the durability of your inflated paddleboard.
#1. Rinse Your Paddle Board
First of all, rinse your paddleboard with water to remove the dust, dirt, and other debris. If you paddle in clear water, then you don’t need to rinse each time.
But when you paddle in salty water, then you should rinse it thoroughly. The salts in the water can corrode the surface of your paddleboard, which can lead to cracks and fissures which may let out the air.
When you take your board out from the water, you should make sure to remove the fins completely. Removing the fins will let you clean the board properly.
#2. Wash Your Paddle Board With Soap
You can clean your paddleboard with normal soap water or a biodegradable cleaner. You don’t need special detergents for this. But don’t use soap each time after using the paddleboard.
While choosing soap, you need first to check the manufacturer’s recommendation. If nothing is mentioned, use soaps that do not have any harmful chemicals that damage your board.
Try your soap out on a very small portion of the board and let it stay there for some time. If it does not cause any damage, you can proceed to clean the rest of the board.
#3. Rinse Your Paddle Board Again
After washing thoroughly, you need to rinse your paddleboard in clean water once again to remove all the soap particles. If any soap particles remain, they can affect the durability of your paddleboard.
#4. Dry Your Paddle Board Completely
Once you clean your paddleboard, allow it to dry completely. Even a little water can promote the growth of fungus, molds, and bacteria on your board. It can weaken the seams of your paddleboard, making it less durable.
After you have dried out your inflated board, you can store your board. But please store it in a place where it will not be exposed to the elements.
For example, you should not keep your board in sunlight. Direct sunlight can damage the PVC material of the paddleboard. PVC is UV resistant, but prolonged exposure to the sun decreases its toughness. It can develop cracks, and that may lead to small punctures in your paddleboard. It’s better to avoid sunlight as much as possible.
You should also avoid storing your paddleboard in your garage or workshop. The heat inside the workshop may expand the air inside the paddleboard, putting extra strain on the board.
In modern paddleboards, this is usually not a problem because their maximum PSI rating is quite high. But it is better to avoid keeping your board in sheds or any in workshops.
Another piece of advice which I want to give is that you should not keep your inflated board directly on the ground. Keeping it on the ground will expose your board to dust and grease. Mice can also attack your board. So it is better to keep it on a rack.
If your inflated paddleboard has glued seams, keeping it inflated for longer can cause a reaction between the glue and PVC.
The glue cannot hold the seams for a very long time. So it’s better to keep glued seams paddle board in the storage bag.
Frequently Answered Questions(FAQ)
#1. How Long Can I Leave My Paddle Board Inflated?
You can leave your inflated board for as long as you want, but you need to remember few things.
- There should be no direct sunlight falling on your board.
- It would be best if you stored it in a cool place. The recommended temperature is usually between 5 to 40 degrees Celsius.
- Try to deflate your paddleboard within a gap of few days.
#2. How Much Should A Paddle Board Inflate?
It would be best if you inflated your paddle board between 10 to 15 psi. Most paddlers inflate their paddle board up to 12 psi.
But when you are paddling on cold water, you should inflate your board with a slightly higher psi, increasing your water stability.
But never inflate your board below ten psi and paddle on the water. Your board can crease in the middle of the water.
#3. Do Inflated Paddle Boards Collapse?
Yes, inflated paddle boards can collapse with time. You will find that there is a change in air pressure with the change in season. So, you need to fill air into your inflated board from time to time.
#4. What Is The Difference Between Inflatable Paddle Board And Hard Paddle Board?
- Inflated paddleboards are easy to store. All you have to do is to deflate the air and roll it in a bag. One can keep the bag in a rack or under the bed. But a hard paddleboard takes a lot of space to the store because they are usually nine to 12 feet long. It needs a tiny space.
- Inflated paddleboards are easy to transport. But a hard paddleboard requires a car, van, or a large truck to transport.
- Inflatable paddleboards are more durable in comparison to hard paddle boards. If you drop your inflatable board by mistake, then nothing will happen to it. On the other hand, if your hardboard falls down, then it can get damaged very easily.
- The performance of a hard paddleboard in water is relatively better than an inflated paddleboard. You can easily catch waves on a hard paddleboard. So, if you want to race, then choose a hard paddle board.
#5. What Are The Four Golden Rules Of Getting On Your SUP?
- On each stroke, the blade should be entirely in water which will help you in propelling forward efficiently.
- During paddling, you should keep your knees in a bent position with your back straight. It will keep your balance on the board in the water. Again by keeping your back straight, you will not suffer from backaches. Your stroke will be more effective.
- Try to use your core muscles while paddling. You will not get tired and paddle for a more extended period.
- It would be best if you kept your board quiet by engaging the muscles of your feet and legs.
It is safe to leave your inflated board for a longer time. But you need to follow the above tips while storing, which will surely help extend your board’s durability.
Please don’t forget to write any suggestions for this article. I would love to read your suggestions.