If you love to catch some waves in the ocean or enjoy taking a relaxing paddle on a calm lake, then you need to know how to fold an inflatable stand up paddle board fast and correctly.
SUPs are perfect for storing and super convenient when the moment presents itself. So here’s a guide to show you how to do it.
Step By Step Folding SUP Board instructions
How do you fold inflatable stand up paddle board? Folding your inflatable SUP can be an easy process when done correctly. If you have a quality inflatable SUP, then it is designed to feel quite rigid when fully inflated.
However, when needing to store it after use, you will need to know how to deflate it and fold it correctly.
Here are the step by step instructions:
- Step 1 – You’ll want to make sure you get all the air out of your SUP before attempting to fold it. To do this, simply push on the pin in the middle of the valve and turn it counterclockwise.
- Step 2 – Once you are certain all of the air is entirely out of your SUP, then begin folding it by starting at the end with the nose.
- Step 3 – Continue folding the board until you reach the fin plates. Be careful not to fold the fin plates, as they should remain flat.
- Step 4 – Once your SUP is folded and ready to be stored, you can tuck it into a carry bag if you have one or just stow it wherever it fits.
You may need to try this method a few times until you find the sweet spot that works perfectly for storing your paddle board in a carry bag. If your board’s deck has graphics, you could use it as a starting point for the first fold.
Tip: When folding your SUP, each fold should be somewhere between 10 to 12 inches long. You could also base the folded size on the length of your main fin box if you’re not sure about the correct measurements.
Note: Ensuring all the air is out of your SUP is imperative for storing it easily and correctly.
Is It Safe to Fold an Inflatable Paddle board?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to fold your SUP. When done correctly, it can help preserve the life of your board. However, you should NEVER roll your SUP! When you roll an inflatable paddle board, you risk weakening the board’s seams.
The correct way to pack your SUP when you’re finished using it is to fold it. You can follow the easy steps listed above for a safe and easy way to fold and stow your paddle board.
According to ResearchGate, more and more people are turning to paddle boards for both competitive and recreational purposes.
Individuals of all ages are using SUPs nowadays, so it’s important to teach young adults or children how to fold their paddle boards properly.
Folding Vs. Rolling Your SUP Board: Which One Is Better?
Folding your SUP is definitely the way to go. Rolling up an inflatable paddle board can cause irreparable damage and won’t last as long as you would have expected.
It might be tempting just to roll your inflatable paddle board up, but we strongly advise against it. Often people try to roll their paddle board super tight, thinking it will make storing it easier, but this the easiest way to ruin your board!
Rolling your inflatable board could weaken the board’s seams, causing it to have holes. If this happens, your board will automatically lose value and eventually won’t be worth hardly anything.
If your paddle board came with a warranty, the damage caused by rolling it could void the warranty. You would then have to replace your SUP at your own expense.
The best results of extending your inflatable paddle board’s life and keeping it in the best condition possible require using the folding method whenever you are not using your board and need to store it.
How to Get All the Air Out of Your Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
Getting all the air out of your SUP is essential for getting it folded correctly before storing it. Here are the instructions for making sure your SUP is completely deflated.
As long as your inflatable paddle board is lying on a semi-flat surface, you could easily lay down on it to start releasing the air. This helps to press all the remaining air toward the end of the paddle board where the valve is located.
It’s essential not to apply any pressure on the paddle board’s seams during this process. You could also place your arms across the center of the paddle board to help release the air. This is ideal for anybody who has back issues or isn’t comfortable lying on the ground.
If you have a two-way pump, this will be the ultimate way to deflate your inflatable stand up paddle board for storage.
Why Choose an Inflatable SUP?
There are a few good reasons why many people are choosing to get an inflatable SUP. Among those reasons, here are the top three:
- Storage – Storing an inflatable paddle board is as easy as putting it in the trunk of your car or tucking it away in the top of your closet, something a solid SUP can’t do.
- Traveling – There is nothing easier than taking your inflatable SUP with you when you are traveling. In fact, some carry bags have backpack straps to make the process even more comfortable. You can also take it with you when traveling by plane, bus, train, and bike.
- Distance – If you’re planning to go hiking and want to have your SUP with you when you find the perfect spot to take a dip, then an inflatable SUP is the best ticket. You can easily hike long distances while carrying your inflatable SUP.
Owning an inflatable stand up paddle board is one of the great pleasures in life. Being outdoors and having the flexibility to take to the water is something most paddle board enthusiasts dream of.
By knowing how to fold your SUP correctly will make your water adventures more enjoyable. You won’t be struggling to get it packed away, which will give you more time to enjoy your water adventure.